Friday, July 31, 2009

Pushing throught the Dog Days

In the US, the football season actually begins in earnest in August. Very earnest. With two-a-days and summer practice in the mad race to prepare for the season in the hottest months of the year, it can be very grueling. Saw a letter/posting from a HS football player in America to which I am sure many of us can relate:

"Should I quit my high school football team?"
"This is my first year ever playing football, so I'm not really that good. I mainly joined because my parents wanted me to play a sport or join something. Practices are pretty hard, and it's not fun. I'm always too sore or tired to hang out with my friends, and it takes up a lot of my summer. I really don't wanna quit or be a quitter, but I don't know how much longer I can motivate myself to get through it."



I felt compelled to respond:
Football is not just a game. It is a test of personal courage and toughness and will. That is way more important than any awards or results on the scoreboard.

Over time, you will inevitably bond and make friends with other players on the team- 'war buddies'- in a way that only people who have gone through common hardships can.

It is difficult to get perspective sometimes- football entails a lot of practice and drilling and stress and pain and discomfort that could not be described as fun. And yes, August is the worst. The payoff comes much later.

But be aware that all the drilling and practice really is necessary, so that you won't need to think about all the things that go on in a game situation- you'll be able to just react, so things flow almost instinctively.

You have to look any for ways you can to see improvement- by measurement, or on video. This can help to motivate you. Ask your coach to give you something specific to work on, and ask for periodic evaluations and look to see improvement in that specific aspect.

Keep a journal of your experience- committing thoughts and experiences and resolutions to paper and looking back over it later can also help inspire you.

Pay more attention and be more vocal- when on the sidelines, when watching others in drills. This gets your 'mind in the game', and prepares you better for when you are in there.

Generally in life, the more you invest and commit to something, the more you'll get out of it.

Just take my word for it and know that you have a great opportunity you may not fully appreciate until later- unlike many other things, when you are older you won't have a chance to play and learn from the experience. Later in life, the things we usually regret are the things we had a chance to do, but didn't.

Good luck!



Any other comments or suggestions for players when they are feeling this way?