Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Irish Invasion

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish "Legends" alumni team is here, preparing for their Saturday matchup versus the Japanese national team in Tokyo Dome.

A light rain fell on the practice field Tuesday, at Nihon U. The Irish defense appeared to be well ahead of the offense- not surprising early in the week of a game like this. Injuries also affected proceedings quite a bit, and toward the end of practice there were several players going both ways- including Ambrose Wooden (who normally lines up at Safety)- taking many snaps at QB.

At age 72, Coach Lou Holtz may have started slowly, but by the end of practice, he had taken off his sweater and jacket, and was really 'getting after it'. QB Tony Rice was having a bit of trouble throwing the ball, and received a large dose of Holtz's scorn. But it didn't seem to trouble Rice, who in comments to the press afterward was understanding to the point of magnanimity. "It started coming back last week when we started practicing. I am just proud that he's given me the opportunity to come over here...He said some things I haven't heard in a long time...some of this is like de ja vous!"

"I am going to be him on the football field: just know my plays; know what I have to do; make sure I go through my progressions and just enjoy myself"

Practice continues this week (including a clinic for players and coaches on Thursday). Kickoff is at 4 PM on Saturday.